The Department was established in 2013 under M. S. Swaminathan School of Agriculture at Centurion University of Technology and Management. In addition, the department is entrusted to laboratory work, research, extension and allied activities.
- To impart teaching in Genetics and Plant Breeding for B. Sc. (Ag.) under-graduate degree students.
- To conduct research and to improve the plant breeding technologies, the advanced methods and techniques are included in the academics.
- To identify and select plants exhibiting desirable traits based on natural genetic variation.
- Analysing and scientifically assessing crop improvement through plant breeding techniques in laboratory and field conditions.
- Establishment of techniques like artificial hybridization in the process of selfing and crossing in different plants would facilitate students to approach advancement in developing new strains with desired traits including resistant varieties, high-yielding varieties, etc.
The department impart democratic methods in educating the students which facilitates in educating the farmers as well as tribal people. The department adopts new innovative technologies in order to help farmers and prepare them for future challenges in the field of agriculture that in turn, addresses several rural problems. The department play a major role in improvement of student’s communicational skills with farmers vernacular languages to reach them.