Agricultural extension is the application of scientific research and new knowledge to agricultural practices. The Department of Agricultural Extension under M. S. Swaminathan school of Agriculture was established during 2013. Since then, it has been playing an important role towards progression of extension science with specific reference to research, education and training. The field of extension now encompasses a wider range of communication and learning activities organized for tribal/rural people from different parts of Orissa and Andra Pradesh states to deliver the knowledge on various disciplines including agriculture, agricultural marketing and business studies.
The department aims to produce agriculture graduates who are able to:
- Act as a Change agent: change in behavior of the people and improving their knowledge, skill and attitudes.
- Practice in planning, organizing, implementing and evaluating of agricultural education programmes.
- Managing the educational and agricultural organizations.
- Design and conduct research in agricultural education and agricultural extension.
- Develop and conduct training in agricultural education and agricultural extension.
- Pursue further training in agriculture, agricultural education, agricultural extension and related disciplines.
The department impart democratic methods in educating the students which facilitates in educating the farmers as well as tribal people. The department adopts new innovative technologies in order to help farmers and prepare them for future challenges in the field of agriculture that in turn, addresses several rural problems. The department play a major role in improvement of student’s communicational skills with farmers vernacular languages to reach them.