Promoting Aquatic Stewardship Practices
Centurion University actively promotes good aquatic stewardship practices through awareness programs, education, and outreach initiatives. They engage with local communities and fishermen to encourage sustainable fishing practices, prevent invasive species introduction, and advocate for responsible resource utilization including the reduction of pesticide use.
Organization of awareness programs
CUTM’s School of Fisheries has undertaken numerous awareness programs since 2018-19 to promote water conservation and reduce water contamination in the nearby villages of Paralakhemundi, Gajapati, Odisha.
Following notions were discussed during the programs:
- Prevent water pollution in nearby aquatic areas.
- Conserve water by turning off taps when not needed to prevent shortages and reduce the need for treating contaminated water.
- Dispose of paints, oils, and other pollutants properly; opt for eco-friendly household products.
- Use pesticides and fertilizers cautiously to avoid runoff into water sources.
- Plant more greenery in your garden to prevent runoff of pollutants.
- Clear weeds and unwanted aquatic plants from local ponds and reservoirs.
Centurion University of Technology and Management (CUTM) has organized an awareness program for the prevention of Antibiotics and Chemical applications in ponds and reservoirs by organizing Kisan Mela (Farmer’s Agri Fair) and other such endeavours.
- As a part of Gajajyoti festival, a Kisan Mela was organized on 3rd March, 2020 in which the School of Fisheries put stalls and exhibited tableau shows along with different schools. The theme of tableau was “Way towards Blue Economy and Food Security” which emphasized the need of increasing fish productivity. Farmers from different parts of the state were invited on this occasion in which they visited various stalls and interacted with Subject Matter Specialists.
- School of Fisheries with M.S. Swaminathan School of Agriculture of the University had organized Utkal Krishi Mela from 10th-11th March 2022, in collaboration with Krishi Jagran, New Delhi. The theme of the Mela was “Exploring the Unexplored Affluent Agri Odisha”.
Centurion University of Technology and Management (CUTM) plays an important role in the prevention of Invasive fish culture like Tilapia, Thai Magur, American catfish, and more.
The potential risk not only affects the quality or level of biodiversity but also the socio-economic aspects of the human community that depend on aquatic ecosystems for their livelihood. The indiscriminate and unmonitored entry and transfer of the exotic species is particularly alarming, raising several concerns including producing hybrids by crossing with indigenous fish species and thus contaminating the fish germplasm.
CUTM also promotes the use of organic manure in the fish culture pond to prevent water pollution using chemicals such as antibiotics.
Prevention of use of Antibiotics and Chemical applications:
Antibiotics are compounds, either natural or synthetic, with the ability to kill or inhibit the growth of microorganisms. When these antibiotics are safe for the host, they serve as essential chemotherapeutic agents for treating infectious diseases in humans, animals, and plants. They have long played a pivotal role in the battle against microorganisms in the environment.
Fish and shrimp farmers frequently employ antibiotics to prevent diseases in aquatic systems. However, the excessive use of antibiotics and chemicals can harm aquatic ecosystems. Centurion University of Technology and Management (CUTM) has taken proactive steps to reduce the application of antibiotics and chemicals in ponds and reservoirs. This includes organizing events such as Kishan Mela and other initiatives.
- Aviator Betting Game App
- दुबई सट्टा
- Cricket Online Bet
- Discover The Best Casino Site In India: Pure Win
- Join The Fun And Play At Netbet Online Casino
- Bet Bhai.com
- Sky Exchange 247
- Sky Exchange 247 Login
- Betbhai 9.com
- Cricket Apps
- Arjun Tendulkar Ipl 2023
- Yesterday Match Ipl Score
- Icc Cricket World Cup 2023
- Maharashtra Cricket Association Stadium Pitch Report