About the ProgrammeOverview: The Department of Plant Protection is one of the most active department under the M.S. Swaminathan School of Agriculture. Initially the department was offering only undergraduate courses of Entomology. However, to keep pace with the advancement of science, need of famers and demand of market this department is now ready to offer M.Sc (Entomology) courses. This department is equipped with well-developed laboratory facilities for research and extension facilities. We have a scientific apiary unit and an advanced biocontrol laboratory. Simultaneously, this department is maintaining an insect museum and a live culture of stored grain pests in a systematic manner. In order to update and augment their knowledge, faculties of the department have been very active in faculty recharging strategies by attending workshops, trainings, conferences, etc. Objectives of the Department:
- Identification of insect pests and their natural enemies.
- Training to devise strategies for the management of insect pests.
- Addressing the farmer’s problems with regard to insect pests of regional and national significance and their management.
- To address environmental issues in relation to use of agro-chemicals in insect pest management by adopting bio intensive and integrated approaches.
- To develop skills on experimental designs, analytical techniques, research data computation and statistical analysis.